DIY Painted Terracotta Pots

I painted some terracotta pots for my backyard and I thought I would show you how I did it so you can do it too!

IMG_0445

IMG_0448

The supplies aren’t super cheap, however, you have heaps of leftover things and enough to make more in the future once you’ve mastered it! (You could also make these for cute gifts for people perhaps…Christmas is coming up!).

IMG_0454

I bought all my supplies at Bunnings, not including plants I think it was about $35 (there are heaps left over).

IMG_0456

For this project you will need:

Terracotta Pots (+ Saucers if you’d like them)

At least 2 colours of paint (let me know if you’d like to know what colours I used and I can venture out into the yard and find out for you)

Paint Brushes

Masking Tape

Clear Acrylic

Sealant

IMG_0457

I lay an old white sheet on the ground outside so I didn’t get paint on the ground.

IMG_0458

I sprayed the inside of all the pots with sealant. This is important because if you don’t, it will cause the pots to soak up heaps of liquid when you water the plans and apparently it will cause the paint to crack/chip in the future.

IMG_0459

I did about 2/3 coats of sealant. Then, I painted a white base coat on Β the pots and saucers. You don’t necessarily need to do this, but as I was using pale colours it meant that they came out brighter.

IMG_0460

IMG_0465

I did two coats of white (as I wanted the pots to show white eventually).

IMG_0468

IMG_0469

IMG_0499

For the first design I wanted a half/half or a dip dye design. So, I put a line of masking tape in an upside down V shape on the pot.

IMG_0501

IMG_0502

Then I painted in the triangle shape.

IMG_0503

IMG_0504

Once it had started to dry, I removed the masking tape.

IMG_0505

For this design I just taped where I wanted the lines, so it didn’t drip or look messy. For this one I used orange.

IMG_0507

IMG_0508

IMG_0509

To make the lines even on this chevron design was really difficult. I’m kind of embarrassed to say I sat there for over half an hour trying to get it even. For the bigger blue and white pot (below) I ended up making a template out of an old paper Ikea measuring thing.

IMG_0511

IMG_0512Β IMG_0513

IMG_0514

IMG_0520

For the saucers I just painted them white and then painted the inner circle the same colour as the pot it would eventually sit on.

IMG_0518

Once all the pots and saucers had dried I sprayed them with two coats of (non yellowing) clear acrylic.

IMG_0522

IMG_0523

IMG_0525

IMG_0527

Once They had dried, I put my plants in them! Here, I have spinach & rocket (which are already dead – I’m terrible at gardens, but I’m trying!), strawberries (which I’m glad to say appear to be growing something which resembles fruit), mint and oregano.

IMG_0528

IMG_0530

IMG_0532

IMG_0533

IMG_0534

IMG_0639

They are now on my outside bench with the succulents that I madeΒ here.

 

2 thoughts on “DIY Painted Terracotta Pots

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s